Thursday, October 18, 2007

Oh....the burn

In a word - OW. I just got back from the track and let me tell you something...it wasn't pretty. Last time I walked two miles, so tonight I decided that I would alternate walking and running for three miles. Sound like a good plan? Yeah, I thought so too. I walked the first mile, feeling pretty good. I could feel my thighs getting warmed up, feeling a little burn. Then a great song comes on my iPod and I tell myself that I'll run a half lap. Just a half lap. I pick up the pace and start running. Feels pretty good! Huff huff huff - still doing alright. I'm actually surprised by how fast I am running...not bad! Then I stop to catch my breath...oh dear, turns out I'm sort of wheezing. I walk the rest of the lap, then I start to run again. This time I realize that I must look ridiculous while running. I mean, I don't even know if I remember how to run. Every wobbly bit on my body is shaking uncontrollably and I shudder to think what I might look like in slow motion. I try to mimic what the other impressive joggers are doing, but I'm not sure I'm fooling anyone. But I press on - huff huff huff. Once I slow to a walk, I'm breathing harder and I'm embarrassed by how tired I am. When I start running again, I realize that yes - I do in fact look ridiculous. I look like a twinky in sneakers. Nothing like the seasoned athletes that are passing me by. To make matters worse? There is a saucy chick that is running lap after lap without breaking a sweat. Gorgeous legs, toned arms...she looks awesome. While I normally would have been plotting a way to trip her, I decided that I would keep running - who cares what I look like - so that I could look like her. Nothing like a little motivation to keep me from collapsing in a corner and shouting obscenities! Ahhh, sure can't wait to go back on Saturday.

11 Comments:

Kateastrophe said...

A TWINKY IN SNEAKERS?????

Shuddering to think what you look like in slow motion.

Sssssssssstopit.

I'm snorting and crying I'm laughing so hard over here.

Kateastrophe said...

Ohohoho I have a tip.

My boss, who has an AMAZING body, said that if you drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water every day, you'll lose at least five pounds and consume less calories. (Ex: if you weighed 150, you'd need to drink 75oz of water every day) It's a freakin' lot of water, but you just chug away!

I tried it for a while and it worked. PLUS, it made my skin all glowy!

oh snap said...

HAHA- Twinkie in sneakers. Soo funny- Having 'returned' to working out many a times, I have to say your 3 mile goal was AGGRESSIVE!! Yikes Julz! If my first run is 2 miles, I count on my second run being a depressing .8! So, keep up the good work!

Sara said...

Go Girl! You are a better soul than I! It would have been my plotting to trip the twinkie that would have kept me running! And dear kate has your boss ever heard of something called "water intoxiciation?" Cause you can die from it. And furthermore Doctor OZ said that water Does Not help your skin (he did research) so the glowiness was all you my love!

Sara said...

Wait not you I ment the so called in shape girl- dang its hard to type AND read while holding a baby and talking on the phone and helping my son color.

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Juls- Hilarious.
And yes, just you wait. You'll be the saucy number in a few months and it will feel great. All I can say is she is most likely not looking at you with contempt- The people who are out of shape that are at the gym starting to make an effort or change over a new leaf are the most inspiring to see. Sometimes I want to give them a hug and cheer them on (or slap them on the rear?). Everyone benefits from seeing the 'Twinkie'! Right now it's you! hahahaha -jkjkjk.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! I'm right there with you...just don't go too overboard right at first or you'll burn-out. Slow and steady will win the race...right? And when you have a fast-food relapse don't sweat it...that happens! Just don't skip the gym that day or do an extra couple of laps the next day. At least that is what I say I'm going to do after I eat a batch of cookies...and yes I said batch.

HaLaine said...

You are so calling me next time. There's nothing like two twinkies in sneakers...bring on the burn baby.

Rhonda Can't Help You said...

Twinkie?

Funny....

Rhonda Can't Help You said...

Twinkie?

Funny....